Tuesday, April 8, 2008

'Free Culture' as copyright bible

I was surprised that 'Free Culture' by Lawrence Lessig was such a bench mark book for copyright activists in Universities because I did not find the book to be very intellectual. I agree with many of his points but like prof Eismeier said, the book is basically a compilation of anecdotes about copyright related problems. Maybe it is just me (and after reading about the free culture movement it seems like it is) but Lessig doesn't seem to be the best reference book to use when creating a powerful argument for why copyright laws need to be loosened or changed. Of the books we've read I think I would probably refer to Benkler before Lessig. Benkler's book was very dry and lacking the plethora of fun anecdotes that Lessig's had but it seemed to be much more grounded in facts and hard arguments.

1 comment:

BA said...

I agree. Perhaps Students for Free Culture are drawn more to Lessig himself than his written work, as he is a seminal figure in the movement.

Regardless of whether "Free Culture" is their bible, Lessig certainly seems to be their idolized god. And everyone loves fun anecdotes, especially we youngen.