Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Are newspapers doomed?

Steiger's article seemed to be a very straight forward Journalism piece about how profits have been dropping away from the major newspapers for years. He seems to be nostalgic for an age of journalism that was booming and ruthless. The journalists that uncovered major scandals in Washington, and not some sex fling with an intern. Again, this is difficult for me because I feel that I hear about the ages of yore and how amazing everything was. I don't know how vigorous the news used to be in making sure the Presidential administration was keeping their noses clean, but it doesn't seem to be that way anymore.

Though the big new corps aren't reeling in the profits like they once were, many of them are more profitable but on more realistic scales. I think that the internet will prove to be a boon to Journalism once the news corporations realize/discover how to use it to its maximum benefit. In fact I feel the same way about the TV corporations in this regard. They have been fighting tooth and nail with the internet to prevent their content from being downloaded. As we have seen with the music industry, that isn't a battle that can be won. No matter how many politicians and computer programers they have in the battle, every kid with a laptop becomes their enemy. This seems to be Kessler's point in way. These corporations have to be capable of changing or they won't last in the new internet market. Why should I watch a show on NBC at whatever time they feel like I should, when I could watch it anytime I want online? Why not instead post these shows online along with ads (which is a technique that NBC is using).

Both of the articles we read seem to be dealing with the fact that corporations need to embrace this new technology instead of fighting it. Not look at it as something that will eat into their profits but as a way of expanding their market and thus increasing their profits.

No comments: